Course Description For SBI4U Grade 12 Biology (Upgrade) Online Course
Grade 12 Biology (SBI4U) provides students with the opportunity for in-depth study of the concepts and processes that occur in biological systems. Students will study theory and conduct investigations in the areas of biochemistry, metabolic processes, molecular genetics, homeostasis, and population dynamics. Emphasis will be placed on the achievement of detailed knowledge and the refinement of skills needed for further study in various branches of the life sciences and related fields.
Summary Of Units And Timelines For Grade 12 Biology (Upgrade) SBI4U
Below is the suggested sequence of course unit delivery as well as the recommended number of hours to complete the respective unit. Please note that while the unit called “Scientific Investigation Skills and Career Exploration” is not listed below however the specific expectations listed in this unit are threaded and incorporated within the delivery and assessment of the other five units. For complete details of targeted expectations within each unit and activity, please see each Unit Overview found in the SBI4U course profile.
|Unit Order||Unit Name||Suggested Time|
|Unit 1||Biochemistry||20 Hours|
|Unit 2||Metabolic Processes||20 Hours|
|Mid Semester Point|
|Unit 3||Molecular Genetics||22 Hours|
|Unit 4||Homeostasis||25 Hours|
|Unit 5||Population Dynamics||21 Hours|
|Final||Final Exam||2 Hours|
|View Sample Gradebook Total||110 Hours|
Please be aware that, as per Ministry guidelines, OVS has a mandatory minimum requirement of 11 days enrollment for students to be eligible for a midterm report card and 21 days enrollment to be eligible for a final report card in repeat/upgrade courses.
Fundamental Concepts Covered in Upgrade Courses Online Course
This course provides students with the opportunity for in-depth study of the concepts and processes that occur in biological systems. Students will study theory and conduct investigations in the areas of biochemistry, metabolic processes, molecular genetics, homeostasis, and population dynamics. Emphasis will be placed on the achievement of detailed knowledge and the refinement of skills needed for further study in various branches of the life sciences and related fields.
Teaching and Learning Strategies in an Online School
Assessment & Evaluation
- Address both what students learn and how well they learn
- Are fair to all students
- Accommodate the needs of students who are learning the language of instruction
- Ensure that each student is given clear directions for improvement
- Promote students’ ability to assess their own learning and to set specific goals
- Include the use of samples of students’ work that provide evidence of their achievement
Accommodations for students with an IEP in an Online School
Examples of accommodations (but not limited to) include:
- Adjustment and or extension of time required to complete assignments or summative tasks
- Providing alternative assignments or summative tasks
- Use of scribes and/or other assistive technologies
- Simplifying the language of instruction
- Di, Giuseppe Maurice. Nelson Biology 12. Toronto: Nelson Thomson Learning, 2003. ISBN 0-17-625987-2
- Blake, Leesa. McGraw-Hill Ryerson Biology 12. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 2002. ISBN 0-07-088713-6
- “HHMI’s BioInteractive – Virtual Labs.” Howard Hughes Medical Institute | Biomedical Research & Science Education (HHMI). Web. 22 June 2010.
- End, The. “Access Excellence:Virtual Field Trips and Labs.” Access Excellence @ the National Health Museum. Web. 22 June 2010.
- “BiologyLabs.” Your Page Title. Web. 22 June 2010.
- “Human Disorders.” Rush University Medical Center. Web. 22 June 2010.
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) Requirements for all course.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is SBI4U?
SBI4U is a Grade 12 Biology course at a University preparation level.
What are 4U courses?
4U refers to the Grade level of the courses and the pathway. 4 means it is a grade 12 course and U means it is a university preparation course.
What is the prerequisite course for SBI4U?
Prerequisite: Documentation showing you have successfully passed this course before
How long does it take to complete the SBI4U online course?
Student & Parent Recommendations